Banana bread is a no-brainer for veganizing as eggs are easily substituted with mashed bananas. This is an easy recipe that can be tweaked by changing up the spices, it is dense and moist, lovely on its own, and delightful with black tea in the AM or as a snack!
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1/2-2/3 cup raw sugar with a Tbsp reserved to sprinkle on top
- 4 Tbsp water or brewed chai
- 1 tsp chocolate extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp each cardamom, ginger and cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp each ground cloves, nutmeg, anise
- handful each of vegan dark chocolate chunks and walnut pieces
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your loaf pan by greasing or lining with parchment paper (I greased with a light layer of veganaise out of desperation -- out of oil and earth balance, the shame! -- it was undetectable and the bread came right out). Mash your bananas in a medium bowl, add your sugar and liquids. In a small bowl whisk together your dry ingredients then pour them into your wet, stirring until combined then fold in your walnuts and chocolate. Pour into your loaf pan, sprinkle with sugar and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. Allow to cool for a bit then devour!